If you haven’t noticed, unicorn everything – and we mean EVERYTHING – is trending right now. Our friends at Tulip® took this trend to the next level by pairing it with the equally popular tie-dye! Here’s how you can MAKE your very own mystical sparkle unicorn tie dye tee using the Tulip One-Step Sparkle Party for 6 Kit.
You can get this kit exclusively at your local Michaels store. It comes with everything you need to make multiple tie-dye shirts.
Inside you’ll find:
- 10 bottles of Tulip One-Step Tie Dye Colors
- Rubber Bands
- Silver Glitter Fabric Spray
- 2 Glitter Iron-on Design Sheets
- 12 Gloves
- Reusable Surface Cover
- Project Sheet
Tie Dye Your Shirts
Before you begin: Lay out your surface cover and prepare your work area. Fill up the tie-dye bottles in the colors of your choosing with water and shake well. Put on your gloves and let the tie-dye party begin!
- Start with a damp t-shirt. The dye saturates the fabric more easily when it’s wet.
- Lay your 100% cotton shirt flat on the table and pinch the shirt in the middle, pulling the fabric upwards.
- Bind your shirt with rubber bands in several sections as shown. Then, lay your bound fabric flat on your table/surface.
4. Squeeze the dye on your shirt as shown, making sure to saturate all white areas. Flip it over as you add dye to make sure you dye both sides!
5. Wrap your tie-dyed shirt in plastic wrap or a plastic bag and let it set for 6-8 hours.
6. After it has set, cut off the rubber bands carefully with scissors, and then rinse under cold water until all the dye is out and the water starts to run clear.
7. Wash your shirt in cold water and tumble dry on low.
Iron On Your Designs
- Take your finished tie-dyed t-shirt and lay it flat on an ironing board or hard surface.
- Peel your unicorn iron-on designs from the sheet and place in the middle of your bullseye design.
- Lay an ironing cloth over the design and turn your iron on to the cotton setting.
- Iron continuously for 40 seconds. Check to make sure the transfer is set and re-iron if needed.
For even more shimmer, use the glitter fabric spray to add sparkly effects that match your transfer. More sparkles = more unicorn magic!
Maker Tip: Take it to the next level by fringing the bottom of your tee; learn how here.
Here’s what your completed shirt will look like once finished. It’s perfect for a music festival, a day at the beach, or matching outfits for a girls’ night out. We can’t promise that this shirt will give you magical powers, but we promise the compliments will magically appear the minute you wear it!
Have you been inspired by this unicorn trend? Share with us in the comments below!